Have you checked your Income tax return Status?
To know how to check how to check the income tax return status you need to know about the basics of income tax return filing.
You can file income tax return in two ways:
- Offline income tax return filing
- Online income tax return filing
In offline income tax return filing you have to submit the physical copy of income tax return in the income tax office and they will put the stamp ( with date and ITO ward No.) on the your acknowledgement copy. This is the proof that your income tax return is accepted.
There is no mechanism to check the status of offline income tax return.
Once you receive the intimation under section 143(1) by post/E-mail, it means that your income tax return has been processed by the income tax department. The post will be sent on the address mentioned in the income tax return.
In online mode you visit the income tax department website, login there and file your income tax return.
Read this article for how to file income tax return in four easy steps.
An acknowledgement is generated and also sent to your registered E-mail Id. This acknowledgement bears the 10 digit acknowledgement number.
This acknowledgement signifies that you have filed your income tax return.
Now you can anytime login to your income tax account and check the status of your income tax return.
The steps for checking the online Income tax Return status are as follows:
- Open the income tax efiling website.
- Click on login and enter your user ID, Date of birth & Password.
- After login, click on My Account tab on top.
- On the drop down list, click on E-filed returns/ Forms
- There you can see the returns of all the years filed by you.
- On the last section you will find the status of each return filed by you.
- If it is processed, then the status will be ITR processed otherwise it will be under process.
In the worklist Tab on the top, you can also check for any information or demand raised by income tax department.
Always give correct email ID and mobile number while filing income tax return.
So there it is always advantageous to file income tax return online.
You may ask any query related to income tax return status.
Latest posts by CA Harish Negi (see all)
- How to invest in shares online: Stock Market trading Simplified - January 12, 2017
- Basic PF Deduction Rules and EPF, EPS, EDLIS Rates - January 12, 2017
- Payment of Bonus Act: Applicability, Calculation & Amendments - January 1, 2017