PRAN Card is Permanent Retirement Account Number Card.
It is a 12 digit unique identity number issued to persons who register under national pension scheme (NPS).
NPS is governed by Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA).
NSDL has entered into an agreement with PFRDA for setting a Central Book Keeping Agency (CRA) wherein all the details of members of NPS are stored.
So NSDL is authorized to issue PRAN.
Applying for PRAN is the first step for having NPS registration.
It is just like to have a PAN card before filing your income tax return.
The following chart shows how the structure of NPS
Steps for How to Apply PRAN Card Online
Step 1: keep all required documents for PRAN with you.
The documents required for PRAN are as follows:
- ‘Permanent Account Number’ issued by income tax department
- If PAN is not available then you can have Adhar card.
- A bank account with any of the authorized banks
- Scanned copy of photograph and signature in peg/jpg of 4kb – 12kb.
- Debit/credit card/ internet banking information for online payment.
- Copy of Adress Proof.
Step 3 : Choose the new registration option.
Step 4: Choose Citizen of India, then you will have to choose PAN if you have PAN otherwise Adhaar.
Then choose the type of account you want i.e Tier I & Tier II or Tier I only
- Tier I Account required for long-term savings. It is eligible for Tax benefit upto Rs.50,000 u/s 80CCD(1B).
- Tier II Account is an add-on account which provides you the flexibility to invest & withdraw from various schemes available in NPS without any exit load.
Step 5 : Enter Your PAN number.
Step 6: Select the bank with whom you have a account.
Presently there are limited bank in the list. if your bank is not there in the list then you can apply PRAN offline.
However, there are many more banks who are appointed as Point of Presence. May be the NSDL do not have agreement with them or they may be added in near future.
Step 7: In the next screen ‘ subscriber registration’ you need to fill all details regarding
- Personal Details : After filling the personal details, a acknowledgement No. will get generated, through which you can fill the rest of the form later.
- Contact Details: here you have to provide the address proof details
- Bank & Other Details
- Scheme & Nomination Details
- Photo & Signature Details
- Payment Details : here you need to pay minimum amount of NPS Rs. 500
Step 8: After payment, PRAN number will be allotted.
Step 9: You need to take printout of the Form, paste your photo and sign it. Then within 90 days you should send it to the following address:
Central Recordkeeping Agency (eNPS)
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
1st Floor, Times Tower,
Kamala Mills Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg,
Lower Parel, Mumbai – 400 013
You will receive the PRAN card to your registered address.
Check you PRAN Card Status
Once you received your PRAN No. Online, you should wait for PRAN CARD.
You can check the PRAN status online.
If there is any delay then you can check the PRAN card Status by calling in this number 022 – 4090 4242.
You can also send your queries at eNPS@nsdl.co.in
Offline procedure for PRAN Card (PRAN Form)
If you are not able to register online for NPS, then you can download the PRAN form, fill it and submit it through post.
How to contribute to NPS ?
With your PRAN number details you can contribute to NPS by online facility.
Hope the procedure for online application of PRAN card is clear. For any query please comment.
Latest posts by CA Harish Negi (see all)
- How to download balance sheet of a company ? - February 20, 2017
- Which company requires XBRL filing? - February 19, 2017
- How to invest in shares online: Stock Market trading Simplified - January 12, 2017